Pages

5.03.2011

Teacher Appreciation #2 and Lessons Learned in the Kitchen

Ever have one of those kitchen sessions in which you just seem to be completely off your game?  I had one of those yesterday.   Lucky for me, and my family, and Moira's teachers, everything worked out just fine, even if it did not work out smoothly (it doesn't help that I can an anxious, overly-dramatic, perfectionist).

I decided to use the Oreos left over from my pregnancy cravings to make Chocolate-Covered Oreo Pops for Moira's teachers for Teacher Appreciation Week.


They look good and a taste of non-pop-chocolate-covered-oreos tells me they taste good...but what a mess I made.  The sticks were too thick; the cream filling not wide enough; the cookies broke; the broken cookies fell in the chocolate...by the time I was done I had covered my fingers in chocolate and washed it off 10 separate times.

Lesson #1:  Next time you have a pregnancy craving for Oreo cookies...buy Double Stuff!

On to dinner.



I tried a new recipe from my Rachael Ray's Look and Cook cookbook...Spinach and Artichoke Mac 'n' Cheese.  (Definitely not a diet food but perfect for Meatless Monday.)

Moira and I were out of the house most of the day and I did not unload the dishwasher or wash any of the dishes left in the sink.  This is something I am usually right on top of but I just didn't feel like doing it.  Well, I started cooking and quickly ran out of room on my counter and in my sink. Plus I had those Oreo Pops setting on the counter.  In the middle of preparing dinner, I decided I had to get my workspace cleared and started unloading the dishwasher and filled it back up, all the while trying to keep Moira from pulling out the dirty dishes from the washer...and laying in the middle of the kitchen floor as I cook...and dumping all of her play food and dishes all over the dining room floor...and taking a moment to get her set up on the potty (ahhh, potty training).  Needless to say, I burned my butter and had to start over and my dinner could have used more seasoning.  I was not fully into my cooking, that is for sure.

Lesson #2:  Take the (literally) 2 minutes it requires to clear off your counter and empty the sink.  It is not like you are cooking in Kitchen Stadium here!

Lesson #3:  Turn down the damn heat when you are melting butter!

Lesson #4:  Stop trying to do everything at once!

When all was said and done, dinner was good (and not too unhealthy because I served smaller portions and we had salad with it...yay for green veggies).  The treats came out just fine.  The Teacher Appreciation Gifts were what I was hoping for and received with much gratitude.





I think I need to relax!

:)
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment