Pages

5.13.2011

One Fine Chocolate Chip Cookie

Cookies are one of the top items on my list of favorite treats...right after ice cream.  And what can possibly be more delightful than an exceptional chocolate chip cookie?  The answer is, not much.


Recently I stumbled across the New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies over at My Baking Addiction.  I have tried a couple of chocolate chip cookie recipes before, all yummy but none exactly what I was looking for.  They mostly turned out crunchy...

Now let's be clear...I personally love crunchy cookies.  They are perfect for dipping; however, the Mr. prefers chewy cookies and I do like a chewy cookie as well (there is rarely a cookie I meet that I don't like).  The description of these NY Times cookies were that they were big, dense, and...you got it...chewy.


As if that wasn't enough, I peeked through the recipe and was really excited to see the addition of sea salt before baking.  I grew up in Central NY state where you can find Freihofer's products-a-plenty, including their bite-sized, wonderfully chewy-with-a-slightly-salty flavor, Chocolate Chip Cookies.  They are just great.  That's all I can say.

So, a cookie that was chewy and possibly had a subtle salty flavor?  I had to see for myself.

Do I really need an excuse to bake cookies?  Apparently.

As written in the recipe, I let my cookie dough chill for at least 24 hours...more like 36 hours...before baking.


I also splurged and used some fancy chocolate chips.

The grand unveiling of these so-called chewy chocolate chip cookies was today.


The consensus?


 




They were loved.  They are in fact chewy and the bittersweet chocolate and the sea salt...I am speechless.  As the Mr. said, "bet you can't eat just one".  (Moira can...she still has not finished the one cookie I gave her this afternoon.  A nibble here, a nibble there.  Now, if only I could make a cookie last as long as she does...)

I even shared.  Some were brought over to my in-laws' this evening.  Some are in the freezer for when Mom comes to town in a couple of weeks.  The rest...

well...


I'll have to get back to you on that...

:)
Anne

1 comment: